Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Best Broccoli Ever

I saw something on pinterest that said it was a recipe for "the best broccoli you'll ever eat in your life."  I was intrigued, although skeptical, especially when I read the part about the husband saying it was like biting into a steak!  I normally steam fresh broccoli, and it is very tasty, but nothing special at all.  So, I decided to give it a shot for dinner that night.  Well, it turned out amazing!  Rich gave it rave reviews, even though he said it didn't quite live up to steak fame.  He definitely agreed that it was the best broccoli he had ever had.  I also loved it, and so did Josiah, who usually turns up his nose to broccoli.  Even when I try to mix it into  something he likes, he finds it in his mouth and spits it out while chewing everything else.  He was literally shoving it in like candy!  I can't say the same about Anna Ruth and James, who did not care for it because of the lemon juice.  They also don't like change, and since they normally love regular steamed broccoli, they didn't appreciate the new method.  Oh, well, they will just have to get used to it, because I will definitely be making broccoli this way very often.  Try it out and let me know what you think!

Here is the recipe:

1 bunch of broccoli (can add cauliflower like I did)
EVOO
S & P
3-4 garlic cloves
lemon
fresh Parmesan block

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Chop fresh broccoli into florets and spread out on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss around on the cookie sheet with a spatula.
Chop up the cloves of garlic and sprinkle on top.
Cook for 20-25 minutes until the broccoli is crisp-tender and beginning to brown on the tips and bottom.
Take out and zest some of the lemon peel with a handheld grater, then cut in half and squeeze some juice over the broccoli.
Grate some fresh Parmesan on top, then toss it all together and serve immediately.

Here's a pic of the final product (sorry, I am not a food stylist):

No comments: