Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mandarin Orange & Chicken Salad

Rich's birthday is on Sunday, June 21, so this week I am making some of his favorite meals to celebrate his "birthday week", as I like to call it. I think it's fun to make the whole week leading up to the birthday a special time. My earlier post about tortilla soup was a part of that. And now, I have another meal to share with you that is healthy, easy, and oh-so-good--Mandarin Orange & Chicken Salad. Doesn't it look fresh and colorful?
Here is the recipe:

1 bag baby spinach
1 can mandarin orange segments, drained
1 C chopped, cooked chicken
1 recipe carmelized sliced almonds (below)
1 recipe dressing (below)

Combine all ingredients and enjoy!

Carmelized Sliced Almonds:
1 C sliced almonds
1/3 C sugar
1 piece parchment paper

Heat small skillet over medium heat. Pour almonds in pan and then add sugar. Toss mixture continually until sugar melts and completely coats the almonds and they begin to turn golden brown. Pour out onto parchment paper and let cool. When cool, break apart pieces and use to top salad.

Dressing:
1/4 C veg. oil
2 T sugar
2 T apple cider vinegar

Combine ingredients in dressing container or any small container with lid. Shake well and pour over salad.

Serve King's Hawaiian bread or rolls with the salad.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Liv,
I have made this salad twice in the last week. IT IS SO GOOD! Thanks for posting the recipe b/c even though I knew the basics, I wasn't sure of the ratios and I also had no clue how to cook the almonds without burning them (which Mom can attest to).
Please come visit me soon! I miss y'all!