Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tortilla Soup

I first had this soup at my Mom's house, and I knew right when I had it that Rich would love it. I asked Mom for the recipe (which she got from someone, but I don't know who), and made it at home. Sure enough, it became an instant favorite for Rich because of how good it is and for me because of how easy it is to make. I end up having enough to freeze half of it, so it makes two meals in the time of one! If you like Mexican food, give it a try--you'll be glad you did!

Here's the recipe:
8 oz. diced carrot
8 oz. diced celery
8 oz. diced onion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt/pepper to taste
2 T oil
4 cans (or 8 C) of chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (mild or regular, depending on how spicy you like it)
1 packet taco seasoning
12 oz. cooked chicken, cut up
1 pkg. corn tortillas
12 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese (or Cotija, if you want to be more authentic)
1 C milk

Saute carrots, celery, onion, garlic powder, salt/pepper in oil until tender. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and tomatoes and green chiles, taco seasoning, and chicken. Add 5 cut-up corn tortillas and let boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Reduce heat and add 8 oz. of cheese. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add milk and simmer another 5 minutes.
Garnish with extra cheese, diced avocado, cilantro and sour cream.
Serve with warm corn tortillas on the side, spread with butter and sprinkled with salt.

1 comment:

Mosshouse said...

Yummy, especially with your homemade tortillas!